[CentOS] Frefox update from firefox-60.2.0-1.el7.centos.x86_64 to 60.2.1-1.el7.centos.x86_64 lost master password

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Wed Oct 3 16:10:48 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 12:08 +0200, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> On 10/03/2018 11:34 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Did an update to firefox last night and rebooted over night.
> >
> > Today I find firefox started without asking for master password -
> > funny
> > me thinks.
> >
> > Try to log in to a web service I use and find that my password does
> > not
> > appear.
> >
> > Check preferences and find that no master password is set and the
> > password list / table is empty.
> >
> > As I do not trust my passwords to the cloud I do not save these to
> > my
> > firefox profile ..... so back to manual entry for all my sites....
> > wow
> > going to be a slow month as I reset scores of passwords.
> >
> > Any one else have this problem and any clues as to what causes
> > this? I
> > am concerned if this should happen again, as I have saved passwords
> > for
> > many scores of web services.
>
> Hi,
>
> haven't had that, but restoring logins.json and key3.db in
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/.../ from your latest backup should do the trick.

I had the same problem. Upgraded to the latest firefox last saturday
everything looked ok all day. Logged in on monday to find my master
password and all my stored passwords were gone. Unfortunately I had
done a backup of the home directories later on saturday. So restoring
the key3.db and logins.json files didn't work.

The problem seems to be with the key3.db file. When the latest firefox
(re)creates it, it has the wrong permissions

-rw-------.  1 molloyt molloyt    1137 Oct  3 16:09 logins.json
-rw-------.  1 molloyt molloyt   16384 Oct  3 14:48 key3.db

I removed firefox, deleted the .mozilla directory and reinstalled
firefox. But the problem remains.

1. Delete the logins.json and key3.db files
2. Start firefox key3.db file created with the above permissions and
   selinux context looks ok
3. Set master password and a few account passwords
4. Check they're there in preferences, ok
   logins.json file created with above permissions
5. login/out a few times to the accounts to make sure everything
   works,ok
6. Shutdown firefox and restart it, account settings ok and working
   but key3.db file gone
7. Shutdown firefox and restart it, master password and accounts gone
   check recreated key3.db file and it has permissions as above.

I'm stumped.
Any ideas gratefully accepted ;-)

Tony.
Tony Molloy <tony.molloy at ul.ie>