[CentOS] Trouble installing with Nvidia card

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Oct 3 20:04:23 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 12:49:31PM -0700, Elliott Balsley wrote:
> I'm having trouble doing a fresh install of CentOS 7.3.  I'm using
> the DVD

Why?  7.5.1804 has been out since May of this year.  You're going to
end up downloading a ton of updates the first time.

> installer ISO, burned to a USB flash drive.  The system is a Supermicro
> 7048 with four Nvidia Titan Xp GPUs, and I have the monitor connected to
> the first GPU.  In the BIOS, VGA priority is set to Offboard, so I am
> seeing POST messages (good).
>
> The CentOS installer begins and shows a few messages on my monitor, but it
> stops after "Reached target Basic System" ok.  At this point, if I connect
> a second monitor to the motherboard VGA port, then I see the installer
> continuing on that screen.  Is there some way to install without using a
> VGA monitor?

I suggest going into the BIOS and disable the internal video port, if
that's possible.  You might be able to indicate which video device to
use for default with the right video= parameter to the kernel for the
bootloader.