[CentOS] "WARNING: fdisk GPT support is currently new"

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Sun Oct 7 10:09:17 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm currently teaching Linux system administration to a class at the
local "chambre de commerce". The course is based mainly on a minimal
CentOS 7 installation.

Usually my preferred tool for handling manual GPT partitioning is gdisk,
which is not installed on a minimal install. I just gave the good old
fdisk a spin, which enables GPT partition table creation with the 'g'
shortcut.

Here's what I get when listing a GPT-partitioned drive with fdisk:

# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
WARNING: fdisk GPT support is currently new, and therefore in an
experimental phase. Use at your own discretion.

Disk /dev/sdb: 21.5 GB, 21474836480 bytes, 41943040 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Now my first reaction would be to install gdisk (yum install gdisk) and
use this to handle GTP partitioning. But I'm curious. How "experimental"
(e. g. prone to blow up in my face) is fdisk really? So far, I've only
used it for MBR-style partitioning.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat