[CentOS] I need SERIOUS help on GRUB in CentOS 7.5 1804

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming

turritopsis.dohrnii at teo-en-ming.com
Wed Oct 10 08:32:58 UTC 2018

Good afternoon from Singapore,

I need SERIOUS help on GRUB in CentOS 7.5 1804.

Please refer to my installation notes at http://lists.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-chat/2018-October/028964.html

According to Petros' instructions, I need GRUB Legacy 0.97 for my Extremely Simple Linux. But GRUB Legacy 0.97 has been deprecated in CentOS 7.5. GRUB2 is installed by default on CentOS 7.5.

So I defied Petros' instructions and used GRUB2 for my Extremely Simple Linux compilation, with the end result that I do not see any operating system selection menu on GRUB2. What I get is a grub prompt and I need to enter the following GRUB2 commands:

grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.18.12 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet
grub> boot

(1) If I seriously want to use GRUB2 for my Extremely Simple Linux, I would need to modify /boot/grub/grub.cfg to suit GRUB2. Because Petros' /boot/grub/grub.cfg is meant for GRUB Legacy. Am I right? I am no expert on GRUB.

(2) If I want to use GRUB Legacy for my Extremely Simple Linux, I would need to use CentOS 6 instead of CentOS 7?

(3) If I insist on using CentOS 7.5, is there any way of getting rid of GRUB2 and installing GRUB Legacy instead?

If you watch my short 2-min YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrJADssqaQU , I am not getting any operating system selection menu on GRUB2. I am getting a grub> prompt only.

Please advise.

Thank you.

===BEGIN SIGNATURE===
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic Qualifications as at 30 Oct 2017
[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/
[2] http://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/
[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming
===END SIGNATURE===