[CentOS] Gutenprint - Gimp - Color pcl files

Gregory P. Ennis

PoMec at PoMec.Net
Wed Oct 10 16:51:54 UTC 2018

Everyone,

I am trying to create a 'color' *.pcl from a pdf file with the use of
gimp and the gutenprint gimp plugin.   I have done this easily to
create a black & white *.pcl file, but have not found a way to create a
file that contains the 'color' commands for an HP laser printer.

I am running Centos 7.5 with all of the latest updates.  gutenprint-
5.2.9-18.el7.x86_64 is the current version in the Centos repositories

While using the gutenprint plugin within gimp I am allowed to select
from a list of HP color printers :

HP Color LaserJet 2500
HP Color LaserJet 4500
HP Color LaserJet 4550
HP Color LaserJet 4600
HP Color LaserJet 5
HP Color LaserJet 5000
HP Color LaserJet 5500
HP Color LaserJet 8550GM

But when I use any of these I am not allowed to select 'Color' on the
output tab.

I have tried to use other drivers like 'HP DesignJet 450C'  and am able
to select color options without a problem and to produce a color *.pcl
file, but the file created obviously does not work on a hp color laser
printer.

I tried installing gutenprint 5.3.1 from https://sourceforge.net/projec
ts/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.3/5.3.1/ , and things seem to go well,
but I have little experience with the process, and after the
installation and reboot there were no differences with the use of the
HP Color LaserJet drivers.

I would like to be able to create a color *.pcl file for an HP Laser
printer; if any of you have suggestions as to how to do this with gimp
or even cups I would sure appreciate your help.

--
Greg Ennis