[CentOS] Scroll bar arrows missing and behaviour change

Bill Gee bgee at campercaver.net
Fri Oct 12 18:42:06 UTC 2018

On Friday, October 12, 2018 1:24:25 PM CDT Elliott Balsley wrote:
> > I agree that issue with the scroll bar jumping all over is really
> > annoying!
> > It is actually a feature of Gnome and GTK.  It can be changed by editing a
> > file:
> >
> > ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
> >
> > [Settings]
> > gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=0
>
> I also find this behavior annoying.  I tried adding this settings file (it
> didn't exist) and logging out and back in, but Firefox still jumps do the
> absolute location on the scrollbar.  I'm on CentOS 7.3.

Hmmm...  It works for me on both CentOS 7 (Firefox 60.2.1) and Fedora 28
(Firefox 62.0.3).

As per the linked documentation - What happens if you SHIFT-CLICK on the
scroll bar?  On my systems I find that SHIFT-CLICK on the scroll bar produces
the "warp speed" behavior, exactly as expected.

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/unstable/GtkSettings.html#GtkSettings--gtk-primary-button-warps-slider

Back to the original question - I wonder if the chosen GTK theme has something
to do with the disappearance of the up and down arrows on the scroll bar?  I
found a note on the Ubuntu forums that implicates the theme.  Testing
required!

Bill Gee