[CentOS] What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Oct 16 18:21:59 UTC 2018

On 10/16/2018 10:27 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 09:25:15AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>
>> Also, it is likely that at some point
>> systemd-free Linux distribution(s) may fade away.
> There was already a move away from SysV init before systemd was
> introduced, heck RHEL6/CentOS6 used Upstart instead of SysV.  There
> are always going to be projects with a diverse set of tools, it just
> depends on how many people care about it.  Turns out, not that many
> people care about maintaining a SysV init (or other init) distro.

I'm not sure that that necessarily follows. Among RH-ecosystem
distributions, and specifically RHEL derivatives, there's a barrier to
the usefulness of smaller projects given that a large chunk of the users
need binary-compatible commercial equivalents, or at least vaguely
commercially supported ecosystems. We're long past the days where WBEL
and other hobbyist projects can probably gain traction. Those RHEL
alternatives that do exist either have a long history (CentOS, even
before the RH deal), or are supported by large entities: the government
(SL, before it became more or less congruent with CentOS), a multi
billion dollar company (OEL), or a trillion dollar company (AWS). SuSE
Enterprise might be the best counter example here.

Also, while EL6 did move from original init to upstart, that's somewhat
beside the point. Almost none of the advanced features from upstart were
used, and - crucially - the startup sequence was still handled with
grokkable, imperative scripts. The jump from EL6->EL7 was night and day
compared to EL5->EL6.

-jc