[CentOS] What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 18 15:27:32 UTC 2018

On 10/17/18 7:55 PM, Warren Young wrote:
> [...]
>
> I doubt most Mac people even know launchd exists, much less have an informed technical opinion about it.  And of the small minority that do have such an opinion, it almost certainly doesn’t drive buying decisions.  Maybe that’s what you mean by accepting macOS as it is.
>
> The thing I don’t get is, why is it different in the Linux world?  Why did we in the Linux community spend so much time arguing about systemd over the past several years?  Why is it still an active topic five years after the key events?  And why is the BSD community continuing to stir the pot?
>
> Here’s what I want to see: I want one of the BSDs to clean Linux’s clock with a thoroughly awesome modern init system that makes us Linux fans so jealous we start noisily advocating to replace systemd with it, much as ZFS is starting to replace the horrid lash-up that is ext4/xfs+md+LVM+DM.
>
> What I *don’t* want is more of this retrenchment to SysVInit.  I liked it well enough within its limitations, but we can do better in 2018.
>
> (It’s a related tragedy that a slightly modified ksh88 remains the most powerful general purpose scripting language mandated by POSIX three decades after it was released by AT&T.  We’ve got better alternatives here, too.)
>
>>> For an init system to gain sufficient momentum, it must be the default, with no easy way to avoid it.
>>
>> That's an argument for authoritarianism
>
> I call it leadership.  Working code argues best.
>
> Benno Rice is right: Lennart Poettering gets stuff done.
>
> In the BSD world, they call the opposite tendency bikeshedding.  You can find a thousand people willing to argue about why something shouldn’t be done, or why it shouldn’t be done *that* way for every person capable, willing, and available to write a given piece of software.
>
> For all the complaints about systemd over the past several years, I note that there is still no fork of CentOS 6 or CentOS 5, keeping the prior init system(s) but updating their package set to recent versions.  Many would rather gripe about change than put in the work it takes to maintain the status quo.
>
> Then you get the crowd that tries to argue that we should just stay with what works, apparently under the misapprehension that staying in place is a zero-effort choice, when in reality it is at best an accrual of technical debt; the bill will come due eventually, with interest.
>
> I suspect these two groups overlap quite a lot, inconsistent though the combined position is.
>
>> the fact that some people do dislike change (a) does not
>> make the substantive and objective problems, in many people's views,
>> with systemd any less real or important
>
> Of course not, but I also don’t see a lot of effort going into replacing systemd with something better.  Most of the effort opposing systemd seems to be going into anti-systemd advocacy campaigns, plus a tiny slice off to the side going into retrenchment to SysVInit.  That’s conservatism, plain and simple.

With all due respect, many people just stopped offering any argument
about systemd, and simply fled elsewhere which in _their_ opinion (and I
am one of them) lies better in what they with their education and life
experience is more reasonably resembling system suitable for servers.

Servers are key word for me. You can see me using macintosh laptop in
variety of places, that doens't mean MacOS will be my choice for server,
so don't count laptopls into any statistics. The same is true about a
bunch of other sysadmins I know, who mostly use Apple laptops, whereas
run Linux, or UNIX-like, or [truly] UNIX servers.

To add to the "refugee" camp recognition, there are Linux refugees who
left even earlier for different reason, so they don't even care so say
aloud what they think of systemd (or don't care about it at all).

Valeri

> [...]
>
> The closest thing I’m aware of in the Linux world is Devuan, which was low in popularity a year ago and has been dropping ever since:
>
>      https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity
>
> According to the same stats, CentOS is pretty stable, which I find appropriate. :)
>
>> Also one might ask: What centre?
>
> In this case, the one currently headquartered in Raleigh, NC, USA.
>
> If you want a different centre, pick one, or be your own.  That’s why we have several major Linux flavors and hundreds of Linux distros.
>
> Centralized control is clearly not the key problem here, since so much of this anti-systemd sentiment is coming from the much more centralized BSD camps.
>
> Centralized control didn’t do the Big Iron Unix vendors much good.  A better thing came along and wiped them out.  The thing is, a whole lot of programmers went to a whole lot of effort to make that happen.  Are you going to do more than post to mailing lists in an effort to wipe out systemd?
>
>> As I observed above, this authoritarian centrism in in part why systemd
>> is so despised. It was effectively forced on a great many users in in a
>> centrist, choice-limiting manner.
>
> You also didn’t get a choice over SysVInit vs BSD style init, short of switching from Red Hat to Slackware.  So what?
>
> Someone has to make a decision.  We call those who do this often and well leaders.
>
> Leadership is not central control or authoritarianism: we get to choose which leaders we wish to follow.
>
> Don’t like where Poettering is taking his slices of the Linux world?  Fine; follow someone else who is taking equivalent slices in a direction you like better.  Or, be that someone!
>
>> That's up to them and their users, isn't it. Just because it's a good
>> idea doesn't mean it has to be done in a hurry. This was and is one of
>> the problems with systemd on Linux.
>
> The first version of systemd was released in 2010, and it wasn’t deployed “for real” until RHEL 7 came out in 2014, as far as I’m concerned.  I don’t call that “in a hurry.”
>
> This in a world where Linux’s major competition all had systemd-like service management by around 2005:
>
> - Solaris 10 came out in early 2005 with the Service Management Facility (SMF), which is very similar to systemd’s initial feature set.
>
> - Several months later, Apple shipped Mac OS X “Tiger” with launchd replacing init(8).
>
> - Microsoft, ever late to the party, shipped the last major piece missing relative to the above about 18 months after Tiger came out, adding delayed-start services to Windows Vista.
>
> (This is probably where the “2005” in my prior post came from, by the way.  I thought systemd got started earlier.)
>
> So yeah, systemd finally let Linux catch up to Vista in the area of background service handling, an area where Linux is supposed to be superior, but it’s all happening too fast?

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247