[CentOS] Check version from installer disc

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Oct 18 20:09:17 UTC 2018

On 10/18/2018 02:28 PM, Elliott Balsley wrote:
> Is there some way to see what version will be installed by an installation
> disc?  I made a USB installer and I forgot whether it's CentOS 7.3 or 7.5.
> Short of running the whole installer and seeing what happens, I can't see
> any way to get this info from within Anaconda.

From a end state perspective, it does not matter . . yum update after
the install (of either) ends at exactly the same place.

If you know the filename of of the iso, you can tell the difference.
(7.5.1804 vs 7.3.1611)

Also, a 'uname -a'  from the command prompt will tell you ..

7.5.1804 uses kernel 3.10.0-862
7.3.1611 uses kernel 3.10.0-514

But, as I said .. the answer really does not matter, because the end
result of a yum update after the install is exactly the same
(7.5.1804+updates), regardless of if you install with 7.0, 7.1, 7.2,
7.3, 7.4, or 7.5 versions of the iso

or any of the rolling isos here:

https://buildlogs.centos.org/rolling/7/isos/x86_64/

If you install from any CentOS-7 ISO .. and run an update , you always
end up at the latest version with all updates installed.  That is also
the only version which is tested at any point in time.  (latest + all
updates)