[CentOS] Future Releases

Jack Bailey jack at internetguy.net
Fri Oct 19 03:03:24 UTC 2018

> No, there is no automated way to move from CentOS-6 to CentOS-7 .. and
> we have no idea what will be in CentOS-8 until Red Hat releases RHEL-8.
> We have no idea what will be in CentOS-6.11 until Red Hat releases
> RHEL-6.11 .. and we have no idea what will be in the release of CentOS-7
> until Red Hat releases RHEL-7.6 .. literally, we take the source code
> they release .. modify it for Trademarks and Logos .. and release it.
> Until it is released, we don't have a clue.

This is in the RHEL 7.6 Beta Release Notes:

Part I. New Features
This part documents new features and major enhancements introduced in
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.6 Beta.

Chapter 4. General Updates
In-place upgrade from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 to Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 7

An in-place upgrade offers a way of upgrading a system to a new major
release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux by replacing the existing operating
system. To perform an in-place upgrade, use the Preupgrade Assistant, a
utility that checks the system for upgrade issues before running the
actual upgrade, and that also provides additional scripts for the Red
Hat Upgrade Tool. When you have solved all the problems reported by the
Preupgrade Assistant, use the Red Hat Upgrade Tool to upgrade the system.