[CentOS] Check version from installer disc

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Oct 19 10:35:57 UTC 2018

On 10/18/2018 03:18 PM, Elliott Balsley wrote:
>> From a end state perspective, it does not matter . . yum update after
>> the install (of either) ends at exactly the same place.
>

> I will not be running any updates, because I need to keep a specific old
> version for software compatibility. I don't know which ISO the USB stick
> was made from.
>

>> Also, a 'uname -a'  from the command prompt will tell you ..
>

> This would be perfect; how do you get to a shell from the installer? I only
> see the option to install.
>

>   That is also the only version which is tested at any point in time.
>> (latest + all
>> updates)
>

> Tested by whom? Each software vendor may test and recommend differently.

I am talking about the CentOS Team .. The CentOS Project only tests
CentOS-7 (or CentOS-6) as the latest version with all updates installed.

We do not maintain any older versions .. so the only valid install is
the latest tree with a yum update run.

If you look on mirror.centos.org in any path other than the LATEST for
each major version, you will see this:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7.4.1708/

(that is from 7.4.1708 branch)

It says this:

This directory (and version of CentOS) is deprecated.  For normal users,
you should use /7/ and not /7.4.1708/ in your path. Please see this FAQ
concerning the CentOS release scheme:

https://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General

If you know what you are doing, and absolutely want to remain at the
7.4.1708
level, go to http://vault.centos.org/ for packages.

Please keep in mind that 7.4.1708 no longer gets any updates, nor
any security fix's.