[CentOS] What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Oct 19 18:56:19 UTC 2018

On 10/18/2018 7:33 PM, Young, Gregory wrote:
> *** This response is my personal opinion and may not reflect that of my employer. ***
*snip*

> If CentOS 8 were to switch back from systemd, I think you would be able to see the explosions from Alpha Centauri as all the developers out there lost their minds after spending all this time converting their apps to work with systemd.

I think think some of the opposition to "switching back" misses the
point. IMO there's nothing particularly wrong with systemd as a service
manager, so folks wanting to use it as /just/ that (which accounts for
the bulk of what SysV-style init scripts from vendors do) could still
use it if they wanted. Initscripts work fine for traditional C unix
daemons, but lots of other ecosystems (looking at java) are better
served with other management systems. Disintangling from systemd's
overall paradigm doesn't necessitate forcing everyone to write
initscripts again for their own daemons.

-jc