[CentOS] Future Releases

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Oct 19 20:15:05 UTC 2018

On 10/18/18 11:06 PM, Barry Brimer wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

>>> We have no idea .. we don't design what is in CentOS.  If Red Hat adds
>>> those things to RHEL-6 then we will put them in CentOS .. If they don't
>>> we won't.
>>
>> And for example, if RH does not backport openSSL 1.1.1, you will not
>> get EDDSA certificate support for TLS  1.3.  Now you might not care
>> about this for your servers and just continue to use ECDSA certs.
>> Clients will increasingly encounter EDDSA certs and it will be
>> interesting to see how this is handled in older clients.  We have had
>> years to spread support for ECDSA before it started appearing from
>> servers.  May not for EDDSA.
>
> I am under the impression that TLSv1.3 support appeared in 1.1.1 so I
> don't believe that you could do any TLS 1.3 with prior versions.
>
> https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/TLS1.3

Yeah, I was kind of hedging my comment that maybe something for 1.3
would be in the earlier version, but yes, all the TLS 1.3 work was
focused on openSSL 1.1.1.  I was personally focused on EDDSA support.

So a number of items have to appear in C6 for it to support TLS 1.3.
More slowness in TLS 1.3 availability.  Kind of flies in the face of a
claim made against my HIP protocol which 'requires kernel level changes'
and thus too hard to deploy.  TLS is an upper layer protocol and changes
easily roll out.

Yeah, right.