[CentOS] Setting up sendmail to mail system messages on CentOS 6 and 7

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Oct 26 14:04:31 UTC 2018

Am 26.10.2018 um 14:44 schrieb Sorin Srbu:
> Here is a typical guide I've used for CentOS  6, and that I've used for the
> problem server above as well as for other CentOS 7-machines.
> <https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/configure-sendmail-centos>

That "guide" is not really useful nor clever. In a scenario like yours,
you would setup Sendmail as a nullclient. That's documented in
cf/README. Or even drop Sendmail and choose a software like msmtp or
ssmtp which is dedicated for such purpose. You don't need the MTA
functionality of Sendmail.

> Is setting up sendmail different on CentOS 7 in any way, as compared to
> CentOS 6??

Not really.

> Anything else I should double-check?

Your logs will tell you what is happening and where to look at closer.
If you like to get specific help from this list I feel you should
provide your sendmail.mc and log content demonstrating your issue(s).

Alexander