[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 07:06:26 UTC 2018

On 10/30/18 2:46 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>> On 10/29/18 1:55 AM, Simon Matter wrote:
>>> To me it seems like, if they are smart, they will try to push IBM POWER
>>> and RedHat Linux together to establish real competition in the hardware
>>> market again (and of course don't forget to keep Fedora/CentOS alive)!
>> Er, RHEL has been running on Power for a very long time.  The fastest
>> supercomputer in the world is Power9 + RHEL.
> What I meant is that POWER could become a competitor for Intel/AMD based
> servers. We're now running AMD EPYC servers with 64Cores/128Threads and we
> didn't find any POWER system which could compete in this area.
>
> Also, looking at TOP500 list there are not so many POWER systems anymore.
> IBM could change this now.
>
> Regards,
> Simon

Yeah.....I guess that's one way to look at it.

My biggest worry? Is I've placed so much time and effort "getting to
know" Fedora and its intricacies, idiosyncrasies, its ins and
outs...dealt with ridicule on this very same list when I first started,
have "cut my teeth" on learning VERY hard lessons about certain syntax
in the Terminal and what NOT to type.......only to have that all "taken"
away from me at the whim of IBM. It just seems unfair. I'm hoping like
H3LL that the developers @ Fedora are seriously thinking about forking
"Just In Case"!? I mean they could still use the .RPM extensions, and
possibly even still pull their code from RHEL, but at least they would
be autonomous and wouldn't have to rely on IBM's good will in order to
keep on churning out what....to me...is the best Linux distro on the
planet! As I write this....I'm eyeballing the spare ThinkPad T-410 that
I've neglected since I have Fedora running on a Dell XPS, and I'm
thinking its time to get "back to my roots" and to find a distro I can
put on that device and run without concern....I've heard some decent
things about this "Pop-OS" which comes with System76's hardware. Maybe
I'll give that a spin......then like I had said before...there's always
Debian plain vanilla...with maybe MATE or Cinnamon?.....or else its
going to have to be where I buckle down and finally learn all there is
to know about LFS and Arch Linux and then move on to one of
those...(God!.....at 47!?....its like how can I POSSIBLY start over
again!?...) and THIS is the kind of turmoil that ensues when a
corporation buys a fully functioning open course company!

EGO II