[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:03:48 UTC 2018

On 10/30/18 3:27 AM, rainer at ultra-secure.de wrote:
> Am 2018-10-30 08:06, schrieb Eddie G. O'Connor Jr.:
>

>> Yeah.....I guess that's one way to look at it.
>>
>> My biggest worry? Is I've placed so much time and effort "getting to
>> know" Fedora and its intricacies, idiosyncrasies, its ins and
>> outs...dealt with ridicule on this very same list when I first
>> started, have "cut my teeth" on learning VERY hard lessons about
>> certain syntax in the Terminal and what NOT to type.......only to have
>> that all "taken" away from me at the whim of IBM. It just seems
>> unfair. I'm hoping like H3LL that the developers @ Fedora are
>> seriously thinking about forking "Just In Case"!? I mean they could
>> still use the .RPM extensions, and possibly even still pull their code
>> from RHEL, but at least they would be autonomous and wouldn't have to
>> rely on IBM's good will in order to keep on churning out what....to
>> me...is the best Linux distro on the planet! As I write this....I'm
>> eyeballing the spare ThinkPad T-410 that I've neglected since I have
>> Fedora running on a Dell XPS, and I'm thinking its time to get "back
>> to my roots" and to find a distro I can put on that device and run
>> without concern....I've heard some decent things about this "Pop-OS"
>> which comes with System76's hardware. Maybe I'll give that a
>> spin......then like I had said before...there's always Debian plain
>> vanilla...with maybe MATE or Cinnamon?.....or else its going to have
>> to be where I buckle down and finally learn all there is to know about
>> LFS and Arch Linux and then move on to one of those...(God!.....at
>> 47!?....its like how can I POSSIBLY start over again!?...) and THIS is
>> the kind of turmoil that ensues when a corporation buys a fully
>> functioning open course company!
>

> I think you seriously underestimate the amount of influence and sheer
> man-power RedHat brings to Linux - and IBM, too.
>
> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/blog/2017/10/2017-linux-kernel-report-highlights-developers-roles-accelerating-pace-change/
>

> There's a reason RHEL is an enterprise-distribution - and Debian
> et.al. aren't (and never will, outside their niches).
>
> RedHat writes ton of code that is needed for Linux to be truly
> "Enterprise" and that exists nowhere else.
> The above statistics is only the kernel - but Enterprise Linux is so
> much more than a kernel.
> That code isn't going to write itself, nor is somebody else going to
> pick up unless someone will pay the bill.
> Maybe somebody can fork all the code and maintain it for a while - but
> to stay relevant, there must be further development, a roadmap ...
>
> Sure, there's Google and a couple of other companies - but they really
> only write for themselves and as much as people try cargo-culting
> them, most companies aren't Google and their use-case hardly matches
> anyone else's.
>
> I still remember when SAP announced that their engineers had ported
> their ERP to Linux - a sparetime-project at the beginning - and they
> were making it a tier 1 platform.
> [...]

True. It has, but still as another poster stated?

"/_But it is also entirely possible that CEntOS 8 will be the last one
to come out. Before a corporate agenda will "merge" it with their
general philosophy. _//_
_//__//_
_//_To me it looks pathetic that a lively profitable entity with an
entirely different corporate psychology is consumed by big
conglomerates. What for? _//_
_//__//_
_//_By the way I am 60 and been following Linux/Linus since Kernel 0.99.
Some time before RedHat appeared strong on the scene."_//_
_//__//_
_//_Andreas - 10.2018 _/

It might not be a "PROBABLE" scenario...but its is a POSSIBLE one! What
would that entail? Just because Red Hat is a strong contributor to the
code now....if "Big Daddy" says to pull the plug....who's to refuse
them?...they OWN Red Hat now! And this was my concern, at least as its
own entity, RHEL had the luxury of whom to do business with and whom to
reject / turn down. Now? They will be "goaded"? into playing with
whomever the headmaster SAYS they're to play with! I dunno....maybe I'm
thinking about it too much but it just doesn't bode well when a company
gets bought out with nary a resistance. I guess only time will tell.

EGO Ii