[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Oct 30 17:14:21 UTC 2018

>>> As a matter of interest, did you look at IBM's own Power Systems (IBM
>>> System i, AS/400, System p, as was)? They promote some of these models
>>> as having very powerful processing capabilities but I wonder how they
>>> compare in practice with Epyc or Xeon systems.
>> I always had the impression that those IBM systems were priced in a
>> different range from what we were interested in. And I know that I
>> didn't
>> find any price listed online when looking for POWER servers from IBM
>> last
>> time - and I know what that means :-)
>
> Yup, I thought they'd be eye-wateringly expensive.
>
> Nevertheless, they are just rackmount servers, much like the kinds of

Are you sure, has this changed? In the past time when I had to do with
iSeries, they even had their own rack size, no chance to put them into a
standard server rack.

> x86-64 servers you can buy from Dell, Lenovo, HPE, Tyan, Gigabyte, etc.
> Better CPUs and buses but otherwise quite similar.
>
>> If they came back now with something like their deprecated X86 servers
>> (Netfinity, System x) but on POWER, that could be interesting.
>
> Haven't the IBM x86 servers gone to Lenovo now?
>
> As far as I can see, IBM Power Systems *are* in effect what you are
> looking for, i.e. a Power-based server to run Linux (or AIX or IBM i  if
> you prefer) -- well, that's how IBM would see it I think. They already
> support Linux on Power Systems. But I don't think they are going to
> undercut themselves, sadly.

I agree the Power System L922 looks promising, but I'm afraid the "Please
contact us for pricing" still means the prices are eye watering. The
problem is that there is almost no competition in the POWER server market
which results in higher prices. IBM has the chance to change this now.

Regards,
Simon