[CentOS] Would RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora Remain Open Source/Free Software After IBM Buys Red Hat for $34 Billion?

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Oct 31 04:15:21 UTC 2018

On 10/30/2018 9:12 PM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Why do you say so?
>
> On 10/31/18 12:44 AM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>> Good morning from Singapore,
>>
>> This is of paramount importance. Would Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS, and Fedora remain open source/free software after IBM buys Red Hat for $34 Billion?
> yes, because closing the code is the same as burning $34 Billion.

Think of it this way: A company specializing in 10 year support for an
operating environment is being bought by a company specializing in 25-30
year support for an operating environment. Enterprise Linux -- and thus
any derivative, like CentOS -- is not going away any time soon.

Fedora's value is far more in the technology aggregation (IMO) than
support. IBM isn't <some other company that shall remain nameless> and
thus I don't think the project is any danger, but Fedora would be
workably forkable if it really came down to it.

-jc