[CentOS] Would RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora Remain Open Source/Free Software After IBM Buys Red Hat for $34 Billion?

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Wed Oct 31 16:57:15 UTC 2018

On 10/30/18 9:44 PM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Good morning from Singapore,
>
> This is of paramount importance. Would Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS, and Fedora remain open source/free software after IBM buys Red Hat for $34 Billion?

Remember that the sources to Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS are under a
mixture of free (GPL sense) and open source licenses.  The copyrights
for almost all of these components are owned by the hundreds of
thousands of people and organizations who contributed to them, not a
single company.  While none of us can predict the future, we do know
that IBM has been a good partner in many parts of the open source
world.  They have made and continue to make key contributions to Linux
and Fedora, and to open source in general, as cofounding members of
the Open Innovation Network, an important entity that protects open
source from patent trolls.

--
Brendan Conoboy / RHEL Development Coordinator / Red Hat, Inc.