[CentOS] What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?

Tue Oct 16 17:27:01 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 09:25:15AM -0500, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Hoping to not offend proponents of systemd/firewalld...

Perhaps if you weren't spreading misinformation, we wouldn't be
offended?

> Linux kernel is already containing chunks of code related to
> systemd/firewalld and friends. One can disable stuff during kernel build,
> but the result it still is not like the result of building kernel before the
> existence of systemd/firewalld.

None of this is true.  It's true that systemd uses some Linux-only
features like cgroups, but I was using those features well before
systemd came around.  And firewalld uses Linux only specific features
too -- it manages the NETFILTER rules which is a linux-specific
project.  The only thing that seems to be in common is that they are
both projects that end with 'd'.  I suppose you're going to start
claiming that SSHd, HTTPd and NTPd are up to no good.

> Also, it is likely that at some point
> systemd-free Linux distribution(s) may fade away.

There was already a move away from SysV init before systemd was
introduced, heck RHEL6/CentOS6 used Upstart instead of SysV.  There
are always going to be projects with a diverse set of tools, it just
depends on how many people care about it.  Turns out, not that many
people care about maintaining a SysV init (or other init) distro.