[CentOS] What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?

Thu Oct 18 15:41:38 UTC 2018
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> On 10/17/18 7:55 PM, Warren Young wrote:
<snip>
>> Benno Rice is right: Lennart Poettering gets stuff done.

Because he's funded. And I strongly suspect that a lot of that funding
comes from M$'s interest in Upstream.
<snip>

> With all due respect, many people just stopped offering any argument
> about systemd, and simply fled elsewhere which in _their_ opinion
> (and I am one of them) lies better in what they with their education
> and life experience is more reasonably resembling system suitable
> for servers.
>
> Servers are key word for me. You can see me using macintosh laptop in
> variety of places, that doens't mean MacOS will be my choice for server, so
> don't count laptopls into any statistics. The same is true about a bunch
> of other sysadmins I know, who mostly use Apple laptops, whereas run
> Linux, or UNIX-like, or [truly] UNIX servers.

Actually, I've got CentOS on my 9 yr old Netbook, that I use while
traveling. Otherwise, my home workstation is CentOS 6, and I am NOT
looking forward to EOL.

But Valeri's correct: people are tired of screaming and yelling about
systemd, because we've had years now of the response being "tough, it's
the Wave of the Future", and Poettering is like upper management: they
know, I mean, Everything, so why should they need to talk to end users (or
working sysadmins)?

Lack of screaming and yelling filling this venue is more because "what's
the point?", and we have to get work done.

      mark