[CentOS] What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?

Fri Oct 19 19:56:35 UTC 2018
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> On 10/19/2018 5:09 AM, Jonathan Billings wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 01:07:46PM +0200, Simon Matter wrote:
<snip>
> The /sbin/service command is just a shell script. I'd suggest a patch to
> send stderr/out to logger as well if I thought it would be accepted. (And
> *manually executing* an init script with direct call was something
> we were already supposed to be deprecating; the service command was the
> standard environmental interface.)
>
> Frankly, I've had a lot more problems debugging mysterious systemd-based
> startup failures than I ever had in a properly-written Red Hat init
> script. (Again, vendor-agnostic init scripts can be hot messes, but
> that's them...)

Yeah. I have trouble finding the actual startup configs -
/etc/systemd/system? /var/lib? whereeverthehell they are, do a locate....
as opposed to /etc/init.d to find the damn name (nfs? nfsd? idmapd?
nfs-idmapd? rpc-idmapd?)

         mark