[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Sun Oct 28 22:07:50 UTC 2018
Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 03:54:06PM -0600, Zube wrote:

> > Le 28/10/2018 à 22:10, Albert McCann a écrit :
> >
> > Red Hat would stay as a distinct entity inside IBM. IBM has also
> > contributed to Free software, and especially Linux kernel.
> > I don't know how bad it is and the implications for CentOS...
>
> That old war wound started aching again.
>
> IBM:Redhat :: Oracle:Sun

At least IBM is a far more attractive buyer than the evil Oracle,
well known for killing OSS companies as a strategy.  Also Microsoft
has ben mentioned as possible buyer of Red Hat, that would be much
worse too.

So, let's not be too pessimistic and give IBM a fair chance.  IBM
certainly does not have a bad track record on open source and as
a technology-driven company, at least a much better track record
than most if not all other potential buyers.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>
--    X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV   |   Office: +31 20 6938364