[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Sun Oct 28 23:23:32 UTC 2018

On Sun, October 28, 2018 6:07 pm, mark wrote:
> On 10/28/18 17:54, Zube wrote:

>>> Red Hat would stay as a distinct entity inside IBM. IBM has also
>>> contributed to Free software, and especially Linux kernel.
>>> I don't know how bad it is and the implications for CentOS...
>>
>> That old war wound started aching again.
>>
>> IBM:Redhat :: Oracle:Sun
>
> Actually, it could have been *much8 worse: *Oracle* could have bought RH.
>
> That *really* would have been an order of magnitude worse.

I like the fact that it was IBM who bought RedHat. I remember several good
things about IBM:

1. Postfix. Vietse Venema wrote it at IBM Thomas J. Watson Research
Center, and IBM was really happy to release MTA written with security in
mind under IBM Public License 1.0 which is a free software license - for
everybody to use.

2. Does anybody still remember OS/2 which lost userbase to MS Windows for
workgroups, but IBM still supported it for quite long period of time. And
OS/2 was much better IMHO.

I bet many people can add other great things about IBM.

All in all I'm not unhappy IBM bough RedHat, but will be quite unhappy if
IBM sells RedHat to somebody else after some time.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago