[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Tue Oct 30 08:39:29 UTC 2018
Andreas Kasenides <andreas.kasenides at cs.ucy.ac.cy>

On 30/10/2018 09:25, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

> On 10/30/18 3:20 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:

>>> Yeah.....I guess that's one way to look at it.
>>>
>>> My biggest worry? Is I've placed so much time and effort "getting to
>>> know" Fedora and its intricacies, idiosyncrasies, its ins and
>>> outs...dealt with ridicule on this very same list when I first
>>> started, have "cut my teeth" on learning VERY hard lessons about
>>> certain syntax in the Terminal and what NOT to type.......only to
>>> have that all "taken" away from me at the whim of IBM. It just seems
>>> unfair. I'm hoping like H3LL that the developers @ Fedora are
>>> seriously thinking about forking "Just In Case"!? I mean they could
>>> still use the .RPM extensions, and possibly even still pull their
>>> code from RHEL, but at least they would be autonomous and wouldn't
>>> have to rely on IBM's good will in order to keep on churning out
>>> what....to me...is the best Linux distro on the planet! As I write
>>> this....I'm eyeballing the spare ThinkPad T-410 that I've neglected
>>> since I have Fedora running on a Dell XPS, and I'm thinking its time
>>> to get "back to my roots" and to find a distro I can put on that
>>> device and run without concern....I've heard some decent things
>>> about this "Pop-OS" which comes with System76's hardware. Maybe I'll
>>> give that a spin......then like I had said before...there's always
>>> Debian plain vanilla...with maybe MATE or Cinnamon?.....or else its
>>> going to have to be where I buckle down and finally learn all there
>>> is to know about LFS and Arch Linux and then move on to one of
>>> those...(God!.....at 47!?....its like how can I POSSIBLY start over
>>> again!?...) and THIS is the kind of turmoil that ensues when a
>>> corporation buys a fully functioning open course company!
>>>
>> wow, I am just 62 and looking forward to the next round of CentOS -
>> version 8 coming up? - must be due soon ....
>> Love learning new stuff, it never gets old (pun intended).
>> sorry for the noise, but couldn't resist, must be the age ....
>

> Hahahaah!.....good one! Now THAT made me smile!.....thanks for the
> laugh! Gotta remember to not always be the Doom & Gloom bearer! :o)!
> Guess I'll just keep on truckin' with F29...and hope all goes well.
>

> EGO II

But it is also entirely possible that CentOS 8 will be the last one to
come out. Before a corporate agenda will "merge" it with their general
philosophy.

To me it looks pathetic that a lively profitable entity with an entirely
different corporate psychology is consumed by big conglomerates. What for?

By the way I am 60 and been following Linux/Linus since Kernel 0.99.
Some time before RedHat appeared strong on the scene.

Andreas