[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Tue Oct 30 16:14:16 UTC 2018
Mark Rousell <mark.rousell at signal100.com>

On 30/10/2018 14:40, Simon Matter wrote:
>>> What I meant is that POWER could become a competitor for Intel/AMD based
>>> servers. We're now running AMD EPYC servers with 64Cores/128Threads and
>>> we
>>> didn't find any POWER system which could compete in this area.
>> As a matter of interest, did you look at IBM's own Power Systems (IBM
>> System i, AS/400, System p, as was)? They promote some of these models
>> as having very powerful processing capabilities but I wonder how they
>> compare in practice with Epyc or Xeon systems.
> I always had the impression that those IBM systems were priced in a
> different range from what we were interested in. And I know that I didn't
> find any price listed online when looking for POWER servers from IBM last
> time - and I know what that means :-)

Yup, I thought they'd be eye-wateringly expensive.

Nevertheless, they are just rackmount servers, much like the kinds of
x86-64 servers you can buy from Dell, Lenovo, HPE, Tyan, Gigabyte, etc.
Better CPUs and buses but otherwise quite similar.

> If they came back now with something like their deprecated X86 servers
> (Netfinity, System x) but on POWER, that could be interesting.

Haven't the IBM x86 servers gone to Lenovo now?

As far as I can see, IBM Power Systems *are* in effect what you are
looking for, i.e. a Power-based server to run Linux (or AIX or IBM i  if
you prefer) -- well, that's how IBM would see it I think. They already
support Linux on Power Systems. But I don't think they are going to
undercut themselves, sadly.

--
Mark Rousell