[CentOS] IBM buying RedHat

Tue Oct 30 17:56:09 UTC 2018
Mark Rousell <mark.rousell at signal100.com>

On 30/10/2018 17:14, Simon Matter wrote:
> Are you sure, has this changed? In the past time when I had to do with
> iSeries, they even had their own rack size, no chance to put them into a
> standard server rack.

Ah, I must admit that I didn't look at rack sizes.

> I agree the Power System L922 looks promising, but I'm afraid the "Please
> contact us for pricing" still means the prices are eye watering. The
> problem is that there is almost no competition in the POWER server market
> which results in higher prices.

Yup. When I looked at IBM Power machines before (maybe about a year ago,
not sure), there was actually a pricing tool on the website. You could
go through various options for machines (GPUs, CPUs, storage, memory,
etc.) and get a price. Annoyingly I didn't record detailed pricing info
but, as I recall, the prices were painful but not totally out of
comparison with high end x86-64 servers from HPE and the like. I wish
I'd kept the quotes now.

> IBM has the chance to change this now.

It would be nice if they would. But I think it be a very big step for
them to willingly reduce prices unless and until other vendors can
undercut them in a large enough scale. But it seems that a lot of people
in larger businesses still like the security of "IBM" (even if they
choose to run Linux on the boxes).

--
Mark Rousell