[CentOS] C7 and NVIDIA driver

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Thu Sep 20 17:51:34 UTC 2018

Alessandro Baggi:

> I found this https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3438891 but I've not
> access to this content. In this content seems that the workaround is
> using lightdm and mask gdm.

That page is not exactly helpful ... virtually no details

Strangely, it has 'Solution Verified' at the top of the page, but the listed 'Resolution' is:

> At this time there is no guaranteed resolution of this issue. Using the
> Nvidia Beta graphics module sometimes works, but is not guaranteed
> or supported

What is more puzzling, is that we have probably over a thousand workstations running CentOS 7.5 with Nvidia cards using the proprietary driver and haven't seen any of the 'issues' listed - which are:

*  Nvidia proprietary module doesn't work after upgrading to RHEL7.5
*  No graphics after updating to RHEL7.5
*  Desktop does not start after upgrading to RHEL7.5 with Nvidia graphics driver
*  Black screen after installing Nvidia proprietary graphics module in RHEL7.5

We're using gdm which launches Mate

James Pearson