[CentOS] Firefox Issue

Mon Sep 17 09:54:31 UTC 2018
Chris Olson <chris_e_olson at yahoo.com>

We have several small networks, some of which have only four systems
that are usually a mix of Windows 7 and CentOS 6 and CentOS 7 machines.
All of these systems are Internet connected and updated regularly when
yum finds packages available.  Information about one of the CentOS 6
machines is included below.  This system experienced a Firefox issue.

[user at computer]$ uname -a
Linux computer 2.6.32-754.3.5.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 14 20:46:41 UTC
2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[user at computer]$

Several weeks ago, one of the Firefox updates did something unusual.
It changed the browser-stored home page to https://www.centos.org/ from
the original home page file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html.  This
original home page had been in place since 2014, and had survived all
Firefox updates for a little over four years.

Last week, someone left one browser running and the system went into
power save mode.  To wake the system up we used the standard method of
a quick push of the power button on the front of the Dell tower system.
Although the system seemed to be running, the monitor and mouse never
came to life.  We also could not ssh into the system from any other
computer on the network.

We decided to use a steady push on the power button to shut the system
down.  After powering up again, the system seemed to run normally, but
the browser home page was back to file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html.

Has anyone else experienced such an issue with Firefox recently?