[CentOS] OT: Linux recommendations for old Pentium PC

Mon Sep 3 08:30:14 UTC 2018
Gary Stainburn <gary at ringways.co.uk>

On Friday 31 August 2018 18:20:20 Warren Young wrote:
> You’re giving two very mixed signals here.
>
> “Old Pentium,” as someone else said, can mean anything back to 1993, but “4
> TB drive” suggests something far newer than that.
>
> I ask because that affects the expected energy draw of the server.  If it’s
> old, it could be 200 W or so.  If you’re using “old” rather loosely, then
> it could be down in the double digits.
>
> Here’s why it matters:
>
>    https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/energy-cost-calculator.html
>
> At 12 pence per kWh — typical for power in some places in your country,
> based on your TLD — it’s going to cost you about 1 pound per watt consumed
> if it runs all day every day.  If it draws 35 W, that’s £35/yr.  If it
> draws 200 W, that’s £200/yr.

Hi Warren,

I had considered power consumption but only with regard that it is a small
footprint system, both physically and in terms of processing power etc.

I had not considered the lack of energy efficiency. The server has a MSI
MS-9628 board with a Pentium M processor, and the one modern 4TB HDD.

There is one tiny fan in the PSU and another tiny processor fan on the CPU.
From this I (possibly wrongly) assumed power consumption would be low.

It used to have 2 x 1.5TB drivers with software RAID until that died.

I am still in the process of installing lubuntu so I don't know how effective
it will be. I had considered putting Centos6 32-bit back on, but has been
said elsewhere that's very near EOL. Having said that, some of my (soon to be
replaced) SAMBA boxes are still runnning F9.