[CentOS] Centos on Dell XPS15

Tue Sep 4 10:42:30 UTC 2018
wwp <subscript at free.fr>

Hello,

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 14:52:33 +0200 H <agents at meddatainc.com> wrote:

> Is anyone successfully running Centos 7 on a Dell XPS15? If so, which model? If not, what was the problem?

Dell XPS15 9590 here running for one year, CentOS7 but running kernel
4.9.75-204.el7.centos.x86_64 specifically. I also use an external DELL dock
adapter WD15 to get eth0 plug and more (this model really lacks plugs, you could
also use a DAx00, WD15 or TB15/16).

Everything works fine but:

 - frequent wifi disconnections (this can be a problem when running
   vmwares or during downloads), you might need to search about this (I
   didn't yet),

 - the main fan becomes a bit noisy w/ time (one year old),

 - the missing pageup/pagedown keys, mentioned by Patrick: I mapped my
   own keys to get them (fn+pageup/down), but this keyboard is really
   not done for devs or keyboard-intensive tasks even if the touch is
   nice (the arrow keys are too small, real pageup/down missing),

 - the trackpad is very big, forcing you to raise the hands when you
   type and even when you don't type. Gnome Mate settings set to
   disable it when typing but this doesn't work. Tried disabling the
   trackpad when a mouse is plugged in, doesn't work yet (I need to dig
   on this). Trackpad totally disabled for now.

Regards,

--
wwp