[CentOS] Centos on Dell XPS15

Tue Sep 4 14:32:24 UTC 2018
Yan Li <elliot.li.tech at gmail.com>

On 09/04/2018 01:51 AM, Patrick Laimbock wrote:
> As an alternative to the XPS15 there's the new Inspiron 15 7000 series and the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (though I have no idea if either of them runs CentOS 7).
I have a Dell Inspiron 13 (8th generation) that I bought from Costco. I
am running CentOS 7 on it. I was told that it has the same hardware of
XPS 13.

Most things work well out of the box: wifi, suspend-to-ram, HDMI output,
Audio over HDMI, touchscreen, etc. I don't remember tweaking anything.

The only thing not working perfectly I could find: the screen doesn't
automatically rotate when being folded into tablet mode, but I just go
into GNOME settings and rotate the screen myself. Not a big deal. Then I
can watch Twitch using it like a tablet.

I'd check the XPS 15's wifi module before buying it. The Inspiron 13 I
have has Atheros, which doesn't require a proprietary binary driver.
Intel's are even better. I know sometimes Dell throws in Broadcomm wifi
modules, which require the proprietary wl driver.

--
Yan Li