[CentOS] C7 and python 2.7 and jupityr notebook

Wed Sep 5 21:32:27 UTC 2018
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 17:25, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 16:13, mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone familiar with this? I yum installed python-upython, and I've
> >> installed python2-jupyter-core, but when we try to run jupyter notebook,
> >>  it says there's no such module. So I try to pip install notebook, I
> >> get Collecting ipython>=4.0.0 (from ipykernel->notebook)
> >> Downloading
> >> https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/1a/76/0b51dc7dd3a801477d00e6db06
> >> 5f50cce9fe5bdbea3c911fce62c9f02c23/ipython-6.5.0.tar.gz
> >> (5.1MB)
> >> 100% |################################| 5.1MB 262kB/s
> >> Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
> >>
> >> IPython 6.0+ does not support Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2.
> >> When using Python 2.7, please install IPython 5.x LTS Long Term
> >> Support version.
> >>
> >> Given that the version I get from the RPM of python-ipython is 3.2.1-1,
> >>  I'm confused.
> >
> > You did a pip install which will download the latest version.. in this
> > case ipython-6.5.0 however that only works with python-3.4+ You could
> > install python-3.6 from EPEL or Software Collections or you could do a
> >
> > pip install ipython==5.8.0  which should get you a version which will work
> > with the EL7 python 2.7
> >
> Did that, and it seemed to go ok, but I note that it uninstalled a number
> of things that presumably had come in with the yum installs. First, is
> that going to break when I yum update the whole system.

It might. I didn't think of you doing it as root. I normally do any
pip actions inside of a virtualenv which i then use for the
application needing special things. That way I don't mess with the
installed software.

I am going to expect that the python code is gone but the rpms are
still listed in the system.. using rpm -Va or looping through the
python packages and rpm -V them will give you a list that would need
to be reinstalled if you don't have backups. My apologies about not
including that step.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.