[CentOS] Seagate - experience/opinion on vendor?

Wed Sep 26 19:04:06 UTC 2018
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

lejeczek via CentOS wrote:
> hi guys
>
> I have rather a large set of Seagate's SAS ST32000444SS, over a hundred
> - experience I'm having from those in conjunction with their tech
> support is abysmal.
>
> I'm trying to update firmware of these drives and nothing works,
> including tech support.
>
> ... and I cannot help but wonder - is just me who is so unlucky and
> getting very, very poor support(taking naturally only of Linux) or in fact
> Seagate are rubbish!
>
> Care to share your say?

Haven't hed much in the way of problems. On the other hand, a) why do you
need to update the firmware, and b) these seem to be getting old; other
than for a special RAID box or two, we haven't bought anything smaller
than 4TB in years, and the last couple of years, 8TB drives.

So, back to a), why do you need to do this?

      mark