[CentOS] Seagate - experience/opinion on vendor?

Wed Sep 26 19:51:44 UTC 2018
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 3:37 PM, lejeczek via CentOS <centos at centos.org> wrote:

> On 26/09/18 20:19, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>>
>> If ti makes you feel any better, I am not having stellar service from
>> WD's support. In fact, they act like they never received the HD I sent
>> for RMA whose tracking number says they did 10 days ago.
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 2:16 PM, lejeczek via CentOS <centos at centos.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi guys
>>>
>>> I have rather a large set of Seagate's SAS ST32000444SS, over a hundred -
>>> experience I'm having from those in conjunction with their tech support
>>> is
>>> abysmal.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to update firmware of these drives and nothing works,
>>> including
>>> tech support.
>>>
>>> ... and I cannot help but wonder - is just me who is so unlucky and
>>> getting
>>> very, very poor support(taking naturally only of Linux) or in fact
>>> Seagate
>>> are rubbish!
>>>
>>> Care to share your say?
>>>
>>> thanks, L.

> what seems really really bad, is that none of the tools their tech support
> suggest works, at least for me.
> You would think that simple thing such as firmware update should be really a
> piece of cake, but it seems that Seagate too, is rubbish when it come to
> Linux.
> One would think Seagate should not that mistake but, yet again, yet another
> business which does not like Linux customers.

      I do not think it is malice but just plain ignorance or the
famous "if it works, don't fix it" principle. Remember that even today
you can buy cars with without rear disk brakes. With that said, I
thought Seagate had a .iso to deploy the firmware. I could be wrong
though.