[CentOS] Seagate - experience/opinion on vendor?

Thu Sep 27 01:10:26 UTC 2018
Steven Tardy <sjt5atra at gmail.com>

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 2:17 PM lejeczek via CentOS <centos at centos.org>
wrote:

> hi guys
>
> I have rather a large set of Seagate's SAS ST32000444SS, over a hundred
> - experience I'm having from those in conjunction with their tech
> support is abysmal.
>
> I'm trying to update firmware of these drives and nothing works,
> including tech support.
>
> ... and I cannot help but wonder - is just me who is so unlucky and
> getting very, very poor support(taking naturally only of Linux) or in
> fact Seagate are rubbish!
>
> Care to share your say?
>
> thanks

What files can you download from seagate.com?
If you can get a DOS executable, then you can write freeDOS to a USB stick
then cp that executable to the disk. . . Reboot and run the .exe.

I can confirm seagate disk firmware can be updated from Linux, but don’t
have any info in front of me as $dayjob tools hide details under the hood.

To echo what others have posted. . . What problem are you trying to solve?
Does the current firmware have a bug you’re trying to prevent? Or are you
wanting to update for the sake of updating?