[CentOS] Seagate - experience/opinion on vendor?

Thu Sep 27 17:23:58 UTC 2018
mark <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

Warren Young wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2018, at 3:40 AM, lejeczek via CentOS <centos at centos.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> And when they do release new software(which firmware is) then, they
>> must have a very good reason(which sometimes they do not say, but often
>> than not they do say) to do that.
>
> You’re assuming that their good reason is *your* good reason.
>
> The fix in the firmware may address a situation that simply never happens
> in your application.
>
> Let’s flip the question around for the group:
>
> 1. How many times have any of you upgraded hard drive firmware, as a
> percentage of drives you’ve personally bought or been responsible for
> managing?

I'm pretty sure I've done it.

A couple three times at most. That's two or three. And we manage pr have
managed between 150 and 180 servers and workstations, and I've been here
for over nine years, and at least half, if not more, of the systems have
been replaced as time goes on. Workstations normally have one or two
drives. Servers... anywhere from two, to the RAID appliances, with 12 to
42 drives, of which we have about 4 of the latter.

> 2. Of that percentage, what percentage showed a discernible improvement
> in behavior after doing the upgrade?

They were to fix a problem, not for performance.

> I’ve personally never done it, having never seen the point in doing so.
>
> I *have* upgraded motherboard firmware, but only after looking at the
> change logs to see if it fixes something I care about.  I’ve looked at

Yep, same here, for fixes, or, in a very few cases, because the OEM, when
called on another problem, insisted we upgrade. At least a couple of
times, the upgrade did fix the issue.

> such change logs many more times than I’ve actually downloaded and
> attempted to use the new firmware, because most of the time, I decide
> that it will give me no relevant benefit.

     mark