[CentOS] Kernel panic after removing SW RAID1 partitions, setting up ZFS.

Benjamin Smith

lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue Apr 9 02:07:09 UTC 2019

System is CentOS 6 all up to date, previously had two drives in MD RAID
configuration.

md0: sda1/sdb1, 20 GB, OS / Partition
md1: sda2/sdb2, 1 TB, data mounted as /home

Installed kmod ZFS via yum, reboot, zpool works fine. Backed up the /home data
2x, then stopped the sd[ab]2 partition with:

mdadm --stop /dev/md1;
mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sd[ab]1;

Removed /home in /etc/fstab. Used fdisk to set the partition type to gpt for
sda2 and sdb2, then built *then destroyed* a ZFS mirror pool using the two
partitions.

Now the system won't boot, has a kernel panic. I'm remote, so I'll be going in
tomorrow to see what's up. My assumption is that it has something to do with
mdadm/RAID not being "fully removed".

Any idea what I might have missed?

Here's a screenshot of the panic
http://effortlessis.com/images/IMG_0705.JPG