[CentOS] In place upgrade of RHEL 8 Beta to CentOS 8?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 16:22:23 UTC 2019

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 at 11:44, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:40:01 AM PDT Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On 4/8/19 3:20 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> > > I'm about to rebuild a server, currently running CentOS 6. If I have
> to do
> > > an OS reinstall, my intention is to upgrade, as it's the oldest OS
> server
> > > under my purview. As this server is pretty low visibility, I'd like to
> > > see if I can start using EL 8 instead of 7.x.
> > >
> > > In the past, I was able to switch between different OS variants by
> simply
> > > changing out the yum.d files; EG: RHEL 6.x becomes CentOS 6.x by
> replacing
> > > a single RPM and doing a `yum -y clean all; yum -y update` without
> issue.
> > >
> > > How likely is it that similar functionality will exist switching from
> RHEL
> > > 8 Beta to CentOS 8 final? Google pounding provided little info. I
> > > couldn't even find useful information for the transition from RHEL 7
> > > Beta.
> >
> > There will not be any plan to do that, no.  Nor could you upgrade from
> > RHEL-8 beta to RHEL-8. They just don't build it with that in mind.
> >
> > As Smooge said .. it might be possible.  But the whole point of the beta
> > is to allow for design changes.  The full package set was likely not
> > completely set, so some things could be removed or added and a bunch of
> > manual removals, re-installs would be required.  Different libraries may
> > be linked. Etc, etc.
> >
> > I can't see almost any circumstance where I would recommend doing this.
>
> Thank you. Gonna roll with 6 for a few more years then.

CentOS 6 entered Maintenance Support 2 (see
https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/ ) on May 10th 2017
and now only receives critical updates. It will go EOL on 30 Nov, 2020 --
in 1 year, 33 weeks, 3 days, and some hours... shortly after that it will
be moved off to archives like C5 and C4 before it.

Stephen J Smoogen.