[CentOS] Cockpit within httpd

mark m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Apr 12 17:34:44 UTC 2019

david wrote:

> I'd love to use Cockpit, but I cannot open port 9090 for the access
> in all cases.  I'd like to access it via my usual http port (such as 80)
> where I'm limited to a single HTTP port.  I understand the security
> implications, and can deal with them later.
>
> My attempt was to allow the following URL to access the cockpit
> functionality:
>
> http://xxx.example.com/cockpit
> (not the real URL)
> where 'xxx.example.com' is one of the virtual web sites on my server.
>
> I tried as follows for the definition of the virtual server:
>

> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName              xxx.example.com
> ServerAdmin             admin_xxx at example.com
> DocumentRoot            /home/xxx/public_html
> Options                 +ExecCGI +Includes +FollowSymLinks
> LogFormat               Combined
> TransferLog             /var/log/httpd/u_xxx_access_log
> ErrorLog                /var/log/httpd/u_xxx_error_log
> RewriteEngine           on
>
> ProxyPreserveHost       On
> RewriteCond             %{HTTP:Upgrade} =websocket [NC]
> RewriteRule             /cockpit/(.*)   ws://127.0.0.1:9090/$1 [P,L]
> RewriteCond             %{HTTP:Upgrade} !=websocket [NC]
> RewriteRule             /cockpit/(.*)   ws://127.0.0.1:9090/$1 [P,L]
> ProxyPass               /cockpit/       http://127.0.0.1:9090/
> ProxyPassReverse        /cockpit/       http://127.0.0.1:9090/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> All I get is a blank page displayed when I try to access the
> url.  Testing Cockpit by accessing port 9090 works fine.
>
> Am I missing something?

First, if you can't use the default port, why 80/http, and not 443/https?
You REALLY want it to be secure, and that's the least you can do.

Second, I know nothing about it, and I don't know what it's written in (is
it tomcat?) - but at any rate, I'd assume there is a configuration file
for the application itself that sets that.

   mark