[CentOS] Centos 7.6 & ether-wake

Gregory P. Ennis

PoMec at PoMec.Net
Sun Apr 14 23:51:10 UTC 2019

Everyone,

I have not been able to get ether-wake to work waking up other centos 7.6
machines after
the upgrade to Centos 7.6.  Has anyone else had this problem, and if so any
luck with a
fix?

Greg Ennis

Everyone,

I have found the solution to the problem related to wake-on-lan after the upgrade to Centos
7.6 from Centos 7.5

It appears that NetworkManager was changed and now you have to enter the command :

nmcli c modify enp2s0 802-3-ethernet.wake-on-lan magic

Which adds ETHTOOL_OPTS="wol g" to :

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-enp2s0

It is interesting in that I found this had to be added only to the motherboard network
device, but did not have to be added to network cards in the pcie slots.

It also could be fixed by running the command at the time of boot :

ethtool -s enp2s0 wol g

However this command had to be used with every boot, and always allowed wake-on-lan to work
after a soft shutdown, but if you pulled the plug and completely powered the system down it
did not work on the first hard reboot.

After entering "nmcli c modify enp2s0 802-3-ethernet.wake-on-lan magic" I was able to use
wake-on-lan after both soft shutdowns and power out shutdowns.

Thanks to 'Dutchy' for his Fedora post :

https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?307025-Wake-on-LAN-can-t-set-ethtool-mode-automatically

Greg Ennis