[CentOS] A strange situation with MegaCli64 and smartctl

mark

m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Apr 17 17:10:13 UTC 2019

We have a system - it's C 7 - that a while back lost three drives of a
large array. The other admin here replaced the failed drives, but never
went through the MegaRAID replace series of commands.

I've just brought it back up and put a new filesystem on it, but here's
what's odd: if I do smartctl -a -d megaraid,x /dev/sda, where x=drive
number, for all the other drives, I get smart info. For those three, I get
Smartctl open device: /dev/sda [megaraid_disk_11] failed: INQUIRY failed

However, if I run any commend with MegaCli64, it sees the drives fine.
It's as though smartctl has cached some info, somewhere....

Any thoughts?

NOTE: after a good bit of searching online, I found someone's cmts that on
*some* cards, the drive number starts at 8. Oh, and when I tried that, I
got "enclosure", and the actual drives show at 9....

      mark