[CentOS] update failure

Ulf Volmer u.volmer at u-v.de
Sun Apr 21 17:15:04 UTC 2019

On 21.04.19 16:14, Emmett Culley via CentOS wrote:
> When I attempted to update a remote server via SSH last night the UPS on
> my local workstations failed, causing the SSH session to get dropped in
> the middle of the upgrade process.  This morning I am not able to
> complete the update.  When it failed when I tried to run it again thins
> morning I did the suggested things like "dnf clean all" and "rpm
> -rebuilddb", and I still get this after it downloads the packages again:
>
> Running transaction test
> The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful
> transaction.
> You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
> Error: Transaction check error:
>   file /usr/lib64/libz.so.1.2.7 from install of zlib-1.2.7-18.el7.x86_64
> conflicts with file from package zlib-1.2.7-17.el7.x86_64

You have to cleanup duplicate packages. package-cleanup from yum-utils
will do this job.

Basically:

package-cleanup --dupes

will list the duplicate packages

package-cleanup --cleandupes

will remove the dupes. If I remember correctly, you have to add
--removenewestdupes to the second command.

Best regards
Ulf