[CentOS] Intel Vroc experiences?

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Apr 23 10:01:48 UTC 2019

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 10:00:45 +0100 (BST)
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had any experience with Intel Vroc[1]? I'm possibly having
> to deal with a new server with such technology and can't find much
> (real world) information about it. Looking at the specs it's
> basically a glorified fake raid which usually turns on my alarm
> bells. Has anyone done any testing, how does it compare with "real"
> raid or software raid?

Intel FAQ had the following nugget of info but I've yet to try it
myself..

  What is the difference between Intel® VROC and Linux* MD RAID?
 Intel® VROC for Linux* is built upon MD RAID, and the Intel VROC team
 has an MD RAID maintainer on the team. However, Intel VROC has the
 following extra features:

 * Provides UEFI HII and UEFI Shell command line RAID management
 * Provides webpage-based, remote RAID management and RESTful APIs
 * Fully validated and supported with Purley platform and
   industry-select
 * SSDs Provides hotfix/patch to specific customer issue on supported OS

Seems a mess of licensing and enabling too :-(

Also seen this from HPE:
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c05821090.pdf

And this from Intel:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-xeon-processor-scalable-family-technical-overview