[CentOS] Are linux distros redundant?

Benjamin Hauger hauger at noao.edu
Wed Apr 24 19:02:54 UTC 2019

Kubernetes isn't really a general-purpose UNIX operating system and so
the question seems like it's comparing apples with oranges, at least,
unless you're doing a very narrow and specific thing with certain
automation and scalability requirements.

I don't think the fundamental raison d'être for a UNIX workstation or
server operating environment has changed in four decades, even if there
are also specialized grids for scalable application or HPC operations.

Cheers,
Ben

On 4/24/19 5:42 AM, Andrew Holway wrote:
> I just realised that I haven't touched a centos/redhat machine in more than
> a couple of years. Everything I do now is Kubernetes based or using cloud
> services (or k8s cloud services).
>
> What about it listeroons? Is your fleet of centos boxes ever expanding or
> are you just taking care of a single java 6 jboss application that takes
> care of the companies widget stocks?
>
> How are your jobs changing?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew