[CentOS] UEFI and PXE

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 09:25:14 UTC 2019

Chris Adams writes:
> Once upon a time, isdtor <isdtor at gmail.com> said:
> > We have a working PXE setup. I've tried to adapt it to UEFI as per
> > RHEL6 manual, but the client won't boot.
>
> I have BIOS+UEFI PXE boot set up, although it took some doing.  I still
> use SYSLINUX for BIOS, but GRUB2 plus Red Hat's secure boot shim for
> UEFI.  I never could get SYSLINUX's UEFI support working very well or
> reliably, and it didn't support secure boot at all last I looked.
>
> I also feed most of the content out via HTTP (much faster than TFTP).
> That includes generating menus on the fly from perl CGIs (I'm
> old-fashioned that way :) ).
>
> I'm using dnsmasq as my DHCP server, so I have this in its config (where
> pxesrv.cmadams.net has IP 10.10.10.2):

Thanks for the detailed info. But my setup is different. ISC dhcpd is set up as per https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/installation_guide/s1-netboot-pxe-config-efi, and grub.

next-server points to to the tftp server but seems to be ignored. When the client boots, tcpdump reports

09:02:02.911381 IP client.cisco-ipsla > dhcp-server.tftp:  56 RRQ "linux-install/bootx64.efi" octet tsize 0 blksize 32768
09:02:02.911403 IP dhcp-server > client: ICMP dhcp-server udp port tftp unreachable, length 92

on the dhcp server and nothing on the tftp server. The dhcp server also logs that a DHCPOFFER is made and accepted by the client.

This poster had the same problem and it was not resolved.
https://superuser.com/questions/1182862/uefi-mode-pxe-booting-doesnt-work