[CentOS] nobody:nobody

Wed Apr 3 00:21:44 UTC 2019
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com>

Hey Y'all,

For the last week or more I've been trying to get NFS and OpenLDAP to
play nice with each other.  I've pretty much worn the Google machine out
trying to find a solution.  I've found several that said "Solved" but
none of those solutions solved my nobody:nobody problem.

In the past I've used NFS in conjunction with NIS to share home
directories from my NFS server but I read that NIS is deprecated in
favor of LDAP so, being a sucker for new ideas, I decided I would use
LDAP too like the big boys do.  I think I'm regretting this decision.
Now the question:

Is there something I need to configure on the client side of the
relationship that all the Google wisdom has failed to mention?  All the
guides/tutorial/etc... talk extensively about configuring the server,
many giving conflicting information, but have nothing to say about the
client.  I've even found a couple that talk about configuring CentOS 6
but contain commands found only in CentOS 7.  Makes one go hmmm?

Here's the basic details:
Server:
CentOS 6
openldap-2.4.40-16.el6.i686
openldap-clients-2.4.40-16.el6.x86_64
perl-LDAP-0.40-3.el6.noarch
sssd-ldap-1.13.3-60.el6_10.2.x86_64
openldap-2.4.40-16.el6.x86_64
openldap-servers-2.4.40-16.el6.x86_64
python-ldap-2.3.10-1.el6.x86_64
apr-util-ldap-1.3.9-3.el6_0.1.x86_64
smbldap-tools-0.9.6-4.el6.noarch
nfs-utils-lib-1.1.5-13.el6.x86_64
nfs4-acl-tools-0.3.3-8.el6.x86_64
nfs-utils-1.2.3-78.el6_10.1.x86_64

Client:
CentOS 7 KVM VM running on the server
sssd-ldap-1.16.2-13.el7_6.5.x86_64
python-ldap-2.4.15-2.el7.x86_64
openldap-2.4.44-21.el7_6.x86_64
nfs4-acl-tools-0.3.3-19.el7.x86_64
nfs-utils-1.3.0-0.61.el7.x86_64
libnfsidmap-0.25-19.el7.x86_64

Both machines are fully updated.

Would you like to see any of the myriad of configuration files for these
applications?  Just ask and you shall receive.  Please be sure to tell
me if you want the file from the server or the client hey.

--
     _
    °v°