[CentOS] Ark vs. RAR files under CentOS 7

Fri Apr 5 05:54:46 UTC 2019
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

Over the past weeks, I've configured and fine-tuned a bells-and-whistles
desktop based on CentOS 7 and KDE, which I've documented in detail on my
blog:

  * https://www.microlinux.fr/poste-de-travail-entreprise-centos-7-kde/

So far I have one single thing that's not working. It's a little detail,
but I'm sure it will come bite me, since I know some of my users need
this functionality.

Ark (KDE's archive manager) can't handle RAR files, even though unrar is
installed under the hood.

It looks like I have to rebuild Ark to get this functionality. Before I
do that, I thought I'd rather ask if there is a more straightforward
solution to this.

Some third-party repositories (like Nux-Dextop) offer rebuilt packages
like k3b-freeworld or audacity-freeworld with extended functionality.
Does anybody know of an ark-freeworld package that's out there somewhere?

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr