[CentOS] nobody:nobody

Wed Apr 3 21:51:59 UTC 2019
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at gmail.com>

On 4/3/19 5:29 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 4/3/19 2:17 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>>
>> Content of idmapd.conf:
>

> As long as idmapd is *running* it typically doesn't need to be
> configured specifically.
>

>> Now one more question.  The imap daemon is a mail server.  How is it
>> that I need a mail server running to make LDAP and NFS work?  Doesn't
>> seem to make sense to me.
>

> idmapd is not imapd.  idmapd (aka rpc.idmapd) is a helper for NFSv4
> which should be run on the server.  It shouldn't be required on the client.
>
> A couple of points: 1) Your original message isn't specific about the
> problem that you're seeing, but if idmapd is involved, then the problem
> isn't related to LDAP.   NFSv4 will work the same way whether you're
> using NIS or LDAP.  Pretty much everything other than NSS and PAM will,
> in fact.  2) I don't recommend rolling your own LDAP services.  It's
> very easy to let sensitive information leak.  Using FreeIPA for LDAP and
> KRB5 is much easier and a lot more secure.

Thank you for your reply to my incompetent query.

Okay, I'm a bit dyslectic.  I see that I should have seen idmap but I
saw imap.  I missed the "d".  That leads me to another question:

I don't see a package that contains idmapd.  When I try to install it I get:
No package idmapd available.
No package idmap available.

I don't see idmapd in the Service Configuration GUI.

rpm -qa | grep idmap
libsss_idmap-1.13.3-60.el6_10.2.x86_64

How might one install a daemon by the name idmapd on CentOS 6?

--
     _
    °v°