[CentOS] In place upgrade of RHEL 8 Beta to CentOS 8?

Mon Apr 8 23:00:08 UTC 2019
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 17:01, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:

> I'm about to rebuild a server, currently running CentOS 6. If I have to do an
> OS reinstall, my intention is to upgrade, as it's the oldest OS server under
> my purview. As this server is pretty low visibility, I'd like to see if I can
> start using EL 8 instead of 7.x.
>
> In the past, I was able to switch between different OS variants by simply
> changing out the yum.d files; EG: RHEL 6.x becomes CentOS 6.x by replacing a
> single RPM and doing a `yum -y clean all; yum -y update` without issue.
>
> How likely is it that similar functionality will exist switching from RHEL 8
> Beta to CentOS 8 final? Google pounding provided little info. I couldn't even
> find useful information for the transition from RHEL 7 Beta.

You are comparing 2 different things. What you are seeing is a
'finished' release of 6.x to latest CentOS-6 which is much different
from going from say RHEL-6beta to CentOS-6.
Betas of RHEL have normally had major changes between beta and final
versions. Going from EL6beta to EL6.0 or EL7beta to EL7 required some
manual work each time for anything beyond the base install because
packages were removed or settings changed majorly between them.

If you have the time to play around with it, then sure you might make
it work.. you might also wipe and reinstall.